The Democracy Center is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives. We receive our funding from a combination of sources including grants from foundations, individual donations, and revenue from the sales of our publications and special projects. The Democracy Center accepts no funding from any government sources nor does it accept funding that compromises our independence.
Current Foundation Support
- MacArthur Foundation: supports our work on climate change impacts and adaptation strategies in the Andean region.
- The Ford Foundation, New York: for support of the Network for Justice in Global Investment.
Past Foundation Funders
- The Wallace Global Fund, Washington, DC
- The Open Society Institute, New York
- The Shadow Foundation, Portland, OR
- The Rockefeller Brothers Fund, New York, NY
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Los Altos, CA
- The California Wellness Foundation, San Francisco, CA
- The David and Elise Haas Fund, San Francisco, CA
- The Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation, San Francisco, CA
- The San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco, CA