Looking for an interview, comment or briefing? See our Press Contacts.
Latest in Media
- Philippa de Boissière and Aldo Orellana wrote in the Ecologist about two of the cases from our Corporate Conquistadors report – on Emgesa’s El Quimbo hydroelectric project in Colombia and on Glencore Xstrata’s copper mining in Espinar, Peru.
- Thomas Mc Donagh was in the New Internationalist writing about a third case from the same report, this time regarding Repsol’s oil and gas exploration in Camisea, Peru.
- The Corporate Conquistadors report was featured on Democracy Now! when it was launched from the UN COP20 meeting in December 2014.
- The Democracy Center was in Lima throughout COP20 – check the Getting Action blog for lots of on-the-ground reporting from there.
- Leny Olivera wrote this blog from Lima for New Internationalist on the international day of violence against women about the relationship between strategies of personal resilience and resilience to climate change in the community of Maria Auxiliadora in Cochabamba. This piece was also published in Spanish in ALAI.net.
- On returning from COP20 in Lima, Director Jim Shultz wrote this analysis on the summit’s implications for Yes! Magazine.
- Jim Shultz in Yes! Magazine earlier in the autumn reflecting on the People’s Climate March, the need for hope and strategy, and the applicability of Cold War thinking to the climate crisis.
Seeds of Resilience is a beautiful video filmed in the Bolivian Andes illustrating how seed diversity strengthens climate resilience among local populations exposed to the impacts of climate change.
The Democracy Center’s Digital Media Projects
- Getting Action – our blog and forum
- Climate Change is About…Water – microsite on the impact of climate change in Bolivia (VERSION EN ESPAÑOL)
- Democracy Center News – our monthly newsletter
- Democracy Center TV – our YouTube channel (incluye contenido EN ESPAÑOL)
- Facebook – check out The Democracy Center page
- Twitter – follow us: @DemocracyCenter
Recent reporting from the Democracy Center (2010 -)
- Oil giant takes aim at indigenous groups in Peru (New Internationalist, 19th Jan. 2015)
- El Quimbo, Colombia: Enel-Endesa’s ‘low carbon’ hydroelectric racket (The Ecologist, 13th Jan. 2015)
- Glencore Xstrata and corporate power in Peru (The Ecologist, 27th Dec. 2014)
- UN Climate Negotiators Drop the Ball in Lima—Now It’s Up to the Grassroots to Pick It Up (Yes! Magazine, 11th Dec. 2014)
- Bolivian women fight back against climate of violence (New Internationalist, 25th Nov. 2014. Also published in Upside Down World)
- Sembrando dignidad en plena batalla (ALAI.net, 25 de nov. 2014)
- Time for a New Containment Strategy? What Climate Marchers can Learn from the Cold War (Yes! Magazine, 29th Sept. 2014)
- Interview with Jim Shultz in New York for the People’s Climate March (Democracy Now!, 21st Sept. 2014)
- Estrategias del movimiento por justicia climática rumbo a la COP20 de Lima [RADIO] (Radio MundoReal, 16th Sept. 2014)
- El retorno del movimiento climático de base al escenario internacional (p19 of ALAI magazine, issue 498 Sept. 2014)
- Strategy conversations: From protest to proposal – Launch of alternative proposal to the global investment regime (bilaterals.org, 14th Sept. 2014)
- Bolivia, climate change and community resilience (STAND, 2nd Sept. 2014)
- Climate Comeback: A Grassroots Movement Steps Back into the International Arena (Yes! Magazine, 26th August 2014)
- To My Friend the Climate Defeatist: Here’s Why I’m Still in the Fight (Yes! Magazine, 29th April 2014). This piece also appeared in Common Dreams, Alternet and Resilience.org
- Allowing corporations to sue governments for changing their laws may be common, but it’s not good (OpenDemocracy, 24th April 2014)
- Bolivia and Britain: A Tale of Two Floods (The Ecologist, 11th March 2014)
- TPP – Power to the Corporations at the Expense of the Planet (The Ecologist, 17th Feb. 2014)
- Fracking for Energy Independence and Court in a Trap (Interviews with Democracy Center’s Thomas Mc Donagh by journalist Clare Speak)
- Bolivia: harshening climate meets traditional knowledge (The Ecologist, 30th Dec. 2013)
- Following Massacre, Bolivians Demand Extradition of Former President Residing in U.S. (Alternet, 21st Oct. 2013)
- Obama-Backed Trans-Pacific Partnership Expands Corporate Lawsuits Against Nations for Lost Profits [VIDEO] (Democracy Now! 6th June 2013)
- How Corporations are Subverting Attempts to Rein in their Power (AlterNet, 23rd May 2013)
Climate Adaptation: Saviour or False Hope? (New Internationalist 10th Dec. 2012)
- From Doha to Divestment: The Search for a Real Strategy to Combat Climate Change (Think Progress, Dec. 18th 2012) This piece also appeared in Yes! Magazine and Alternet
- Doom at Doha, but Hope Outside (Red Pepper, Dec. 2012)
- Why Care About COP 18? (New Internationalist 22nd Nov. 2012)
- We Have to be On Guard About False Solutions for Climate Change (Alternet, 29th Nov. 2012)
- Hometown Heroes: Three ways to win climate fights at the local level (Grist, 10th Sept. 2012) This piece also appeared on Alternet
- Rio+20: 5 Key Takeaways (Interview, Christian Science Monitor, July 2012)
- ‘What Should be Done About Water Scarcity in Latin America?’ (Latin America Advisor, Aug. 2012)
- Will ‘Green Economics’ Help Save the Environment or Just Sell it off to Corporations (Alternet, 15th June 2012) This piece also appeared on Salon.com
- Three Ways to Beat Corporate Giants (Yes! Magazine, 9th March 2012)
- Will Programs to Off-Set Carbon Emissions Fuel Further Conflict in Bolivia’s Forests? (Alternet, 21st Nov. 2011)
- Protests erupt in Bolivia and the U.S. targeting ‘progressive’ presidents failing to protect the environment (Alternet, 6th Sept. 2011.) The same piece also appeared in ‘Yes!’ Magazine
- Latin America finds a voice on climate change: with what impact? (NACLA, June 2010)
What others are saying about us…
Reviews of and reporting on our work
‘Democracy Center releases guide on corporate campaigning’
A review of our resource, Beating Goliath, from Rabble.ca
‘REDD at a crossroads in Bolivia’
Article from Mongabay about our 2011 report on forests and climate change in Bolivia
Profiles of the Democracy Center
Top Ten for Internet Activism
Video made in 2009 to celebrate the Democracy Center being named by Politics Online as one of the top ten groups using the internet to support activism
Armed with Democracy
Profile of the Democracy Center’s executive director, Jim Shultz (Sacramento News and Review, June 20, 2002)
Catchy Title, Solid Advice
Profile of Jim Shultz (Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, October 10, 2002)
Archived Media 2000-2010
The Blog from Bolivia
- Searchable database of over 600 posts from 2004-2010 on Bolivian politics, economy, society and culture, from our popular ‘Blog from Bolivia’
Voices from Latin America
- Archived microsite from our collaborative project that ran 2007-2010 aimed at bringing Latin American voices into foreign policy debates in the US
Jim Shultz interviewed about ‘Dignity and Defiance‘
(Democracy Now, April 19, 2010)
Evo Morales Accuses Right-Wing Governors of Trying to Stage Violent Coup
Jim Shultz as in-studio guest (Democracy Now, Sept 17 2008)
Chicago Public Radio interview with Jim Shultz
A New Alliance for the Americas?
Jim Shultz in a filmed panel discussion on U.S./Latin America relations (Grit TV , Feb 17, 2009)
IMF Policies Seen Firsthand in Bolivia
Interview with two Democracy Center volunteers (Seattle Times, April 9, 2005)
The Politics of Water in Bolivia
Editorial by Jim Shultz (The Nation, Feb 14, 2005)
Bringing it all Back Home
Article by Jim Shultz (New Internationalist, Jan 5, 2002)
Public pressure forces Becthtel to drop water case
Interview with Jim Shultz (Business News Americas, January 19, 2006)
Bolivian President Evo Morales Wins Critical Referendum on His Presidency
Interview with Jim Shultz (Democracy Now, Aug 12, 2008)
Autonomy Vote Threatens to Pull Bolivia Apart
Interview with Jim Shultz (Democracy Now, May 5, 2008)
Four of Bolivia’s Wealthiest Regions Declare Autonomy in Protest of New Constitution
Interview with Jim Shultz (Democracy Now, Dec 17, 2007)
Bolivia Country Profile:
Bolivia country profile (New Internationalist, May 2004)
Bloody Chaos over California Gas Deal
Opinion column (Sacramento Bee, Oct 2003)
An extended article from 1997 looking back at Proposition 13 and how it was still shaping the basic outlines of California government and politics nearly two decades later.
Looking for an interview, comment or briefing? See our Press Contacts.